3.23.2011

vintage liz claiborne refashion

this is a vintage liz claiborne set, thrown into a five-dollar basket at the thrift store just because I had more space:
I thought the print was cute, and I'm pretty into florals right now.  I just finished making the top into a little tank.



I switched the front and back around, as you can see.  I had wanted the buttons to be in back, and  the front just worked out the way it did - I was originally going to have the front plain, but decided that I liked the idea of having the pleat there.  I didn't have to mess with the shoulder seam, either.  

This type of rayon, sort of a cotton-like weave, is becoming one of my favorite fabrics.  It has the stability of a cotton, but the flowyness of something much more challenging to sew.  This tank will probably be one of my favorites in the upcoming summer - it is so comfortable!  

The armholes are just a little too low to wear without a cami, but I'm thinking of adding a fake cami thing to each side, like what some people do to shirts that are too low.  It's not that big of a deal, but our summers are hot, and fewer layers is GOOD!

I still have the gauchos and sleeves, which I'm not sure about what to do with yet.  Hopefully you'll see soon!

6 comments:

  1. that is such a cute shirt. your posts make me wanna bust out the sewing machine and give it a try to make some of my own refashions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely! I might try some back to front things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation!This was a huge change,I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled onto your blog from other sewing blogs, I have gone through several of your post. Mercy me you are a talented person!

    Your tank you made from the button up shirt is adorable! I always have my husband give me the shirts he no longer wants. Well you know good fabric there, I was thinking more quilting, but now I am thinking ewwww I could maybe make some tanks!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This top is very fashionable!
    Very good diy, I think I may make my own!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete